Table of Contents:
Section 1 – The State of Speeding in the Canada
Section 2 – Drivers’ Impressions of Speeding
Section 3 – Building an Effective Speed Reduction Plan
3a – Collecting Your Data
3c – Does Just One Layer Work?
Section 1: The State of Speeding in Canada
According to its most recent report, the year 2020 saw a small decrease in the number of fatalities and serious injuries, and saw a significant decrease in the number of injuries.
• In 2020, the number of motor vehicle fatalities was 1,745; down 1% from 2019 (1,762).
• The number of serious injuries decreased to 7,868 in 2020; down 12% from 2019 (8,917).
• The number of total injuries decreased to 101,572 in 2020; down 28% from 2019 (140,801).
• The number of fatalities per 100,000 population decreased to 4.6 in 2020 (from 4.7 in 2019), and is the lowest on record.
However, the report also shows concerning data in these categories:
• 2020 saw a large increase in the percentage of occupants who were killed or seriously injured when not wearing seatbelts. 33.2% of driver fatalities were not wearing seatbelts in 2020, compared to 25.2% in 2019, which equates to a 32% increase.
Section 2: Drivers’ Impressions of Speeding
• 58% of respondents say they don’t observe posted speed limits while driving.
• When asked about methods to slow speeders down, speed bumps, digital speed feedback signs, and speed cameras are the measures considered effective by most respondents.
Section 3: Building an Effective Speed Reduction Plan:
3a - Collecting Your Data:
If speeding is determined to be a problem on your streets, there are many ways to elicit change in driver behavior. At Traffic Logix, we provide a variety of solution packages to meet your multifaceted traffic calming challenges and concerns.
3b - Single-Layer Solutions:
Since all of our radar speed signs gather data, let’s take a look at how effective the single-layered awareness solution is and if more powerful and versatile solutions could suit your traffic calming needs better.
3c - Does Just One Layer Work?
What difference did we make nationwide 2021 vs. 2020?
With more Traffic Logix radar speed signs installed, speeding problems on local streets have been mitigated.
But are radar signs always enough?
Adding enforcement and/or physical traffic calming elements can create far better protection against speeding, crashes, and life threatening injuries on your roads.
3d - Two- and Three-Layer Solutions
Awareness + Physical Traffic Calming