Cities around the country face the challenge of how to keep drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists safe. In fact, more than 75% of vehicle crashes happen in urban areas. How can you prevent drivers from speeding? How do you protect vulnerable road users such as pedestrians and cyclists? How can you assure that drivers are alert and aware of their surroundings?
Traffic Logix offers ITS and traffic calming solutions to help cities create safer roads for all. With a complete line of radar speed signs and driver feedback signs as well as recycled rubber speed humps, cushions, and tables, we’re here to help cities prevent accidents before they happen. The powerful Logix Cloud helps capture data and generate reports so that cities can make informed decisions for safer streets.
The US has seen a disturbing rise in traffic fatalities in recent years. 2015 saw the largest percent increase in 50 years while 2016 showed a further increase on those already alarming numbers. More people die in car crashes each year in the US than in any other high-income country. While many blame an improving economy with higher employment and cheaper gas, others attribute increased crashes to apps that draw drivers attention off the road and onto their devices.
Slower Cars Save Lives
Vehicle speed has been directly linked to crash likelihood as well as injuries and fatalities. On local roads, a few miles slower can make the difference between life and death. A car travelling at 50 mph needs 122 feet to stop. At 30 mph, the driver can stop in just 46 feet, making him much more likely to avoid hitting a pedestrian at all.
When accidents do happen, lower speeds save lives. A car travelling 40 mph that hits a pedestrian, leaves her with just a 10% chance of survival. Slowed down to 20 mph, the impact would be significantly reduced and the pedestrian would have a 90% chance of survival.
Slower speeds prevent accidents from happening in the first place, and considerably reduce their impact when they do.